Friday, April 6, 2018

Bowing Down to Idols Lately?

One of the 'old fashioned-feeling' aspects of Christianity is the mention of 'idol worship'. How relevant is that today? More so than I thought...and I'm not referring to "American Idol".

In the 'Good News Bible' translation that came out in the 1970s, there are illustrations throughout. I eyed one to do with idols in which people are basically bent over in front of a statue.

So I asked myself: what kind of undesirable qualities are being expressed in this picture?

Fawning or Grovelling.  >>> Not attractive! You know, laying on the sugar and feeding others' egos in some way, usually to get something they have that you want....One dictionary says: 'act in an obsequious manner in order to obtain someone's forgiveness or favor'.

Deformed Posture.  >>> It's just not natural to be all bent over like that.

Showing Weakness.   >>> This from Merriam Webster: "to show weakness by agreeing to the demands or following the orders of (someone or something)."

Well that's enough for me to keep busy with today. I'm sure you can go look through your synonym finder for 'bow down' and see what stands out to you: discern and expose these truly unhelpful ways of thinking in your very own consciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment