Thursday, November 29, 2012

Why I Jog

This was the situation as I was entering 'mid-life' shall we say: I was feeling that my own body was getting away from me: almost like loosing grip on the harness of a horse you rely on to get you around.

I was needing more naps, lacking energy, getting tired more easily than i ever used to.

So in praying about this I was inspired to jog. And wear my iPod while I jogged (i find listening to music is the key for me).

I worked into a daily routine of jogging for 30 minutes- usually right after work.

Like Mary Baker Eddy wrote in her classic text on spirituality and healing Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures:

   "Inharmony of any kind involves weakness and suffering, — a loss of
control over the body."

When I jog I'm not working with the body so much: what's really being exercised are spiritual qualities like the dominion spoken of in Genesis chapter 1 in the Bible:  

   So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him;    male and female created he them.

   And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.


On the flipside of all this, I try to keep a balanced thought as it concerns the body: that I don't give too much credit to exercise as the source of my harmony and health.

It's all about expressing dominion, discipline, joy, and to me what is normal activity.

(photo credit Drey Roque Jogging Buddies https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/)


4 comments:

  1. I really like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I jog too. I've found it helpful to be very clear in my thought that I am not jogging to make material muscles get stronger, but that I am jogging to exercise and express my dominion and spiritual strength that God is giving me at that very moment. Holding this thought is in itself a wonderful exercise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jogging is good at keeping thought in the moment isn't it...thanks for your comment!

      Delete