Monday, October 22, 2012

Bible Versions and Translations (part 1)

Though I consider the King James Version as my ‘home base’ of Bible translations, I’ve never shied away studying others alongside it.

Among my favorites is JB Phillips New Testament in Modern English. One verse from Romans (2:12) stands out as a favorite: “Don’t let the world around you squeeze you into its own mold.” 
To me this is a fine example of rendering the ancient original text into modern vernacular without losing any of the inspiration or punch, and it gave me comfort many times when I felt the need for encouragement to swim against the stream of some opposing current in my life.

I’ve also referred to the Amplified Bible countless times over the years to help me get beyond the familiar surfaces of many passages throughout both the Old and New Testaments..

I’ve also enjoyed The Good News Bible a.k.a. Today’s English Version when I absolutely want to get away from any flowery-ness of words to a bare-bones plain-ness.

There are many more too, but these versions stand out as having served me well through many experiences.  

(photo credit: David Masters, Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me; https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/)

No comments:

Post a Comment